“Labour is now the party for beneficiaries – it doesn’t deserve its name,” says ACT Leader David Seymour.
“If you work for a living, don’t expect Chris Hipkins to cut you any slack. Today in Parliament he confirmed that he no longer represents the interests of working New Zealanders.
“Listing the groups that the Government was helping, the only working people he mentioned was the vanishing small number of people on the minimum wage. That’s just 2.9 per cent of workers. Where’s the help for the other 97.1 per cent?
“Labour now stands for the beneficiaries of government handouts. Year after year it has hiked benefits and left behind workers who are getting slammed by taxes and inflation.
“It has totally forgotten about working New Zealanders – unless you’re one of the just 59,000 people on the minimum wage.
“Despite claiming that wages are growing faster than inflation, in 2022, inflation increased by 7.2 per cent but the average wage after tax grew by just 6.2 per cent. One of the reasons why wages after tax didn’t keep up with inflation in 2022 is because the Government is taxing more.
“The Government has linked benefits and pensions to inflation while people who work for a living are left to watch their after tax wages fall behind inflation.
“Asked why he hasn’t cut taxes for low and middle income earners so their wages can keep up with inflation, Hipkins said he was helping workers – those on the minimum wage.
“ACT would cut wasteful spending in Wellington and make sure that all workers have more money in the hand after tax. What could be more bread and butter than that?”
GDP shows what Kiwis already know
“With New Zealand almost certainly headed for a recession, Labour needs to wake up and unleash the ingenuity of New Zealanders by reducing wasteful spending, giving it back in tax cuts, and ditching the stifling red tape,” says ACT Leader David Seymour.
Did Ardern know?
“Police Commissioner Andrew Coster should have known that Stuart Nash was acting in a way that was inconsistent with section 16 of the Policing Act. The question is, who then received that information and what did they do with it?” Asks ACT Leader David Seymour.
Nash a recidivist offender, must go
“It has now been revealed that Stuart Nash is a recidivist offender when it comes to breaching the Cabinet Manual, Chris Hipkins has no choice but to sack him entirely,” says ACT Leader David Seymour.
Maurice Williamson resigned for less than Nash just admitted to
“Former Minister Maurice Williamson resigned in 2014 for allegedly interfering in a police investigation into businessman Donghua Liu, but Stuart Nash this morning boasted of calling the Police Commissioner to influence prosecution decisions,” says ACT Leader David Seymour.