· A free society: free trade, free speech, and personal and religious freedom
· A nation that values personal responsibility, tolerance, civility and compassion
· Small government, low taxes, secure property rights, and the law applied equally to all citizens
ACT is committed to:
· Unleash the creativity, energy and enthusiasm of New Zealanders by removing petty regulation, reducing tax burdens, fostering entrepreneurship and a culture of aspiration
· Empower individuals and households by expanding their options for educating their children, accessing quality healthcare, and obtaining support from our social services in times of need
· Reduce poverty by stronger economic growth, more jobs and higher incomes, affordable housing, and better access to education
· Safe communities through effective policing, with rehabilitation for young offenders but uncompromising sentencing for repeat and violent offenders
· Protect our natural and built environment with Smart-Green policies
· Ensure security in retirement and fairness across generations
· Responsible economic management, a balanced budget, low inflation and a free and open market economy
· Restrict local government to its core functions
Our History and Values
The ACT Party was founded upon those traditional classical liberal principles which are the basis of a free and prosperous community: the suite of fundamental freedoms which include free trade and free speech, limited government, the rule of law and secure property rights.
But that is not enough. We also need a strong engagement with the values of civic society, which include honesty, compassion, enterprise, community service, personal responsibility, tolerance and civility.
You cannot exempt people from personal responsibility without ruinous consequences to them and to society at large.