ACT Deputy Leader John Boscawen says the three strikes law is working exactly as intended - to keep the most serious repeat violent offenders off our streets.
Mr Boscawen was responding to the Herald on Sunday report that a Waikato man could be the first person convicted of a third strike under ACT’s Three Strikes law.
“The offender has a history of violence and already had a long list of convictions before his first strike," Mr Boscawen said.
“His second strike offence – when he was sentenced for the aggravated robbery of a man in his home - was committed while on bail for his first strike.
“The alleged third strike offence occurred in prison less than two months later where the offender was involved in a situation in which a prisoner was beaten up and the prison guard who intervened was attacked and left in a coma.
“This is the type of offender three strikes was designed to target – those who repeatedly commit violent crime.
“Getting tough on violent crime and making our communities safer for all has always been one of ACT’s core policies and is why we campaigned for Three Strikes in the 2008 election. It was passed into law in 2010 and since then well over 1500 violent and sexual offenders have been charged with a strike offence, and nine have two strike offences.
“For most, the warning of a further strike will act as a deterrent against further offending. It can encourage them to get the rehabilitation they need to turn their lives around.
“Unfortunately there will always be a discrete group who cannot be rehabilitated. These people must not remain free to harm others.
“The first third strike conviction will a strong message to all other would be violent offenders - actions have consequences, and repeat violent crimes will not be tolerated,” Mr Boscawen said.